My personal trainer Chris encourages his students to be successful and talks about the TNT trinity: classes, cardio and nutrition. He recognized my struggle last fall and began to talk to me about Shelby and the TNT Nutrition program. Since, my husband Chuck does much of the cooking at home, and he is a very good cook, I knew he needed to be on board with the idea. After the consultation with Shelby, we thought it could be a life style that worked for us. Chuck has a strong focus on the details so the science behind the exchanges passed his credibility test.
What We Learned
- Splitting/halving food exchanges is great: Split a 2 exchange starch into 1/2 e-muffin and 1/2 cup of All Bran cereal for a nice change of pace – besides who can actually eat a whole cup of All Bran and not suffer the consequences – or make others suffer later.
- Don’t cheat – much. I know there are 60 calories to play with and I rarely use them – but an occasional thin mint is ok – don’t inhale the whole sleeve (yeah like you have never done that before!)….only one and not more than once a week!
- A salad with no dressing sucks – but a salad with a good splash of balsamic vinegar rocks and you can save the fat for something else (like butter on your half of ‘the’ dinner roll).
- My homemade whole wheat pizza crust and fat free mozzarella makes for an acceptable pizza that is fairly healthy when loaded with veggies and lean meat.
- At week six – you may find your belt is out of additional holes (in the right direction this time).
- I have a whole new wardrobe of comfortable clothes – my 15-20 year old 501 jeans now fit with the same comfort they did…..15-20 years ago.
We joined TNT nutrition in March and signed up for the maintenance session in June. We found the on demand webinars very helpful as we adapted our meals to low fat, lean meats, lots of vegetables and an occasional glass of wine or cocktail. I regularly post dishes to try on my Pinterest board, follow TNT Fitness and a few other healthy eating boards.
The program helps me make good decisions about what my body needs rather than living in the moment and letting my feeling rule the day. I lost over 20 pounds, hitting my ideal weight and reduced my body fat 6 points to 10.6%. Chuck lost an amazing 50 pounds. Shelby has been there all the way with advice and adjustments to our meal plan to keep us loosing and being successful.Thanks Shelby!